Beauty is reflection of the overall health of our body. It doesn’t matter whether we have our favourite cosmetics and make-up by our side, nourishment from within is the key for healthy skin. One must believe in the ‘you are what you eat’ mantra.
Make sure to make healthy alterations in your diet to make your skin immune to weather changes:
1. Take a diet rich in Vitamin-E to avoid getting free radicals which are caused by smoking, pollution and harsh sunlight. Foods like spinach, blue berries, strawberries, papaya, kiwi, eggs, almonds and milk are a rich source of this.
2. Snacking on a handful of nuts is healthy. They contain healthy fats that your skin needs to retain its elasticity, and vitamin B complex, which helps with not only skin cell restoration but also hair growth and dry skin.
3. Never underestimate the power of seasonal fruits. Summer brings with it plenty of seasonal fruits like watermelons, plums, peaches, figs, lychees, oranges, guava and papaya which can do wonders for your facial skin.
4. Include lentils and soups in your diet to make sure your body never runs out of nutrients, regardless of the weather.
5. Including Vitamin C in your diet helps with healing blemishes. Guava, mango, kiwis, oranges, papaya, strawberries, kale, sprouts and lemon must be included in the diet.
6. Make sure your food has enough good fats like omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Consumption of flax seed oil, walnuts and walnut oil, borage oil, and black currant oil provide a lustrous skin.
7. Eat a lot of proteins. Amino acids found in protein sources are essential for detoxification.
8. It’s mandatory to stay hydrated by drinking at least six to eight glasses of water a day. Dehydration causes the skin to look dull and tired. Detox water is necessary to replenish your body. Citrus fruit pieces, soaked in a pitcher of ice water help balance levels of electrolytes, making the liver flush toxins from your body.
9. Saying no to caffeine and alcohol is necessary as they have adverse effect on our skin and body. It’s good to switch to decaffeinated products.
10. Drinking green smoothies provides a bigger beauty boost and helps in making the skin clear in gloomy weather days.
(By Mehar Rajput, Nutritionist and Dietitian, FITPASS)