The delicious butter chicken that you eat at your local dhaba can be made right in the comfort of your kitchen! All you need is a few ingredients and determination, and you’ll be able to perfect the dish with absolute ease. Here is the recipe!
- 1 kg boneless chicken, skin removed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp. red chilli powder (adjust to suit your taste)
- 6 cloves
- 8 to 10 peppercorns
- 1 small stick of cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 to 10 almonds
- Seeds from 3 to 4 pods of cardamom
- 1 cup fresh, unsweetened yogurt (must not be sour)
- 2 tsp. coriander powder
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp. vegetable, canola or sunflower cooking oil
- 2 onions, chopped finely
- 2 tsp. garlic paste
- 1 tsp. ginger paste
- 400 g chopped tomatoes, ground into a smooth paste
- 2 cups (1/2 liter) chicken stock
- 2 tbsp. kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 3 tbsp. butter
- Coriander (cilantro) leaves for garnish
- Mix the chicken, lemon juice, salt and red chili powder in a large, non-metallic bowl. Cover and allow to marinate for 1 hour.
- Heat a flat pan or griddle on medium heat and gently roast (stirring frequently) the cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon, bay leaves and almonds until they darken slightly. Cool and add the cardamom seeds. Now grind into a coarse powder in a clean, dry coffee grinder.
- Mix the yogurt, spice powder (from previous step), coriander powder, cumin and turmeric powder together and add them to the chicken. Allow to marinate for another hour.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan on medium heat. When hot, add the onions. Fry until pale golden brown in color and then add the ginger and garlic pastes. Fry for another minute.
- Add the chicken (reserving the marinade) and fry until chicken turns opaque and the flesh goes from pink to whitish in color.
- Now add the tomato paste, chicken stock, kasuri methi and the yogurt-spice marinade to the chicken.
- Cook until the chicken is tender and the gravy is reduced to half its original volume.
- Melt the butter in another small pan and then pour it over the chicken.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with Kaali Daal.
Also read: How To Make Delicious Mustard Chicken Breast