Sania Mirza is one helluva woman. She dared to tread on a territory not many women have gone before, and did our country proud on several occasions. With her achievements, Sania has time and again proved why sky is the limit, and how with determination and ambition, one can achieve almost anything.
Calling Sania Miza inspirational would be an understatement. Just by being herself, Sania has given women all across the country the confidence to live their lives on their own term.
With a gazillion records to her name, she is not only a terrific, out-of-this-world player, but is also a brave and wonderful woman who has never kept herself from speaking her mind. New Woman wishes her by remembering the following fiery ‘forehand’s delivered by her…
- “As long as I am winning, people shouldn’t care whether my skirt is six inches long or 6 feet long.”
- “Everybody has the right to form opinions and I have the right to ignore them.”
- “You sound disappointed that I’m not choosing motherhood over being number one in the world at this point of time. But I’ll answer your question anyway, that’s the question I face all the time as a woman that all women have to face — the first is marriage and then its motherhood. Unfortunately, that’s when we’re settled, and no matter how many Wimbledons we win or number ones in the world we become, we don’t become settled…”
- “When I wanted to play Wimbledon, they laughed and said, “What are you talking about, you are from Hyderabad. You are supposed to…cook!”
- “How I dress is a very personal thing. It is scary that every time I wear a t-shirt, it becomes a talking point for the next three days.”
- “Being a woman celebrity is the hardest thing in India…people will ask many things, what you wear, how you speak, when will you have a baby and other things…”
- “Negativity sells. I have been labelled a rebel. If I had been one, would have I got married at 23? Would I have been a straight student?”