Chicken Xacuti is a favourite amongst goans with its rich coconut taste and tropical taste. Although a little long to make, it’ll be worth it!
- 1 kg chicken
- 3” ginger piece
- 10 garlic cloves
- ½ bunch coriander leaves
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 large onions (two chopped and two sliced)
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 4 green chillies
- 8 Kashmiri chillies
- 2 cardamom pods
- a pinch of nutmeg powder
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- ½ tbsp aniseeds (saunf)
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 mace (javitri)
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 4 tbsp oil
- Salt as required
- Clean chicken and cut into small pieces. Rub salt and keep aside. Make a paste of ginger, six garlic cloves, coriander leaves and turmeric powder and marinate the chicken with it.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a frying pan; add the sliced onions and sauté till the onions are soft.
- Add the grated coconut and roast for approximately 15 minutes. Cool the mixture and grind it into a paste.
- Heat the remaining oil in a separate pan and roast the green chillies lightly. Transfer the ingredients to a plate.
- In the same pan, roast the cardamom, nutmeg, coriander seeds and mix in the roasted chillies.
- Next, sprinkle a little oil and again roast the cinnamon sticks, aniseeds, poppy seeds and mace very lightly.
- Now mix together all the roasted spices along with the coconut mixture to form a fine paste.
- In a large pan, melt the ghee and fry the remaining onions and garlic till tender.
- Add marinated chicken and cook on high heat for 3-4 minutes or till the water starts to evaporate.
- Mix in the coconut paste and cook till the chicken is cooked well.
- Adjust the consistency, garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Also read: Evening Snack: Chilli Maggi Recipe